- 25g unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 450g potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 350g cooked British turkey thigh, chopped
- 300g cooked cabbage or spinach, chopped
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp flour 1 egg lightly beaten
- vegetable oil for cooking
- 4 lightly poached eggs
- Jar of hollandaise sauce
- 1 bag of watercress
- 150g French beans, cooked
Heat the butter in a frying pan and cook the onions for 2-3 minutes, until slightly soft and translucent.
Place the mashed potatoes, cooked onions, turkey, cabbage and salt and pepper into a bowl and mix well.
Add the olive oil and a few dry breadcrumbs to form a firm but not stiff mixture.
Form the mixture into 4 balls, flatten on both sides to make thick cakes, and dust with flour. Brush the cakes all over with egg and coat with more breadcrumbs.
Heat a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in a frying pan and cook the cakes on both sides for 3 minutes until golden brown.
Place a little watercress on a warm plate, top with a cake, and a poached egg on top. Serve with French beans and hollandaise sauce.
© Phil Vickery