- 300g small macaroni, raw
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp any oil, plus a little extra for the pasta
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 level tbsp (roughly) plain flour
- 560ml semi-skimmed milk
- 150ml whipping cream
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 250g cooked British turkey, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp leftover stuffing broken up (optional)
- 4 slices bread, crusts removed and made into breadcrumbs
- 50g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
Place a pan of water on the stove, add salt and bring to the boil. Cook the macaroni until just tender and drain well. Do not refresh but add a drop or two of oil and shake together.
Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and garlic and soften 5-6 minutes. Add the flour and mix well until all the oil has been soaked up. Pour in the milk and cream slowly, stirring well, until the sauce is nicely thickened and just boiling.
Remove from the heat, season well with salt, pepper and the mustard. Add the turkey and stuffing and mix well. Spoon into a 28cm x 20cm x 8cm deep oval ceramic baking dish and leave for 10 minutes to set slightly.
Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and cheese and brown under a hot grill for 5-7 minutes.
© Copyright Phil Vickery