- 6 British turkey steaks
- 2 limes, juice only
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 250g (90z) button mushrooms
- 25g (1oz fresh ginger, unpeeled
- 2 lemon grass stalks
- 4 small red chillies
- 1½ pints stock
- 400g (14oz) green beans, trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 small green chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 80g (3oz ) bunch of coriander, leaves only
- 5 tbsp Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- 3 limes, juice only
- 2 tsp sugar
To make the relish
Blitz all ingredients in a food processor until chopped and amalgamated. Pour into a serving bowl.
To make the tom yam
Heat the stock in a large pan. Slice the ginger and smash the lemon grass and add to the stock along with the chillies. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Wipe the mushrooms and add to the stock along with the lime juice, and fish sauce. Simmer for another 5 minutes
Add the turkey and simmer for 10 minutes.
Turn off the heat and leave covered for 10 minutes for the flavours to develop.
Remove the turkey steaks with a slotted spoon and allow to rest for 5 minutes, then slice on the diagonal into three or four thick pieces. Return to the hot stock pan and cover.
Cook the beans in boiling water for 2 minutes , drain the stir into the tom yam.
To serve, spoon into wide soup bowls with a scoop of relish.