- 50g / 2oz butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- A tsp tumeric
- A tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 450ml (Apt) stock
- 150ml (A pint) orange juice
- 1 tsp grated orange rind
- 125g / 4oz couscous
- 50g / 2oz sultanas or raisins
- 50g / 2oz)pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 300g / 10ozcooked turkey, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 sheets 275g / 9oz filo pastry
To make the filling, melt half of the butter in a medium saucepan, add the onion and garlic and cook 3 – 4 minutes to soften. Stir in the spices then add the stock, orange juice and rind and bring to the boil.
Add the couscous then reduce the heat, cover and cook 5 – 6 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the couscous grains. Mix in the sultanas or raisins, pine nuts and allow to cool. Just before assembling add the parsley and turkey, season if needed.
Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Melt the remaining butter. Take a sheet of filo and cut in half to give two pieces measuring 25.5 x 23 cm (10 x 9″), brush lightly with butter.
For each cracker, place about 3 dessertspoons at one end of the pastry, leaving 4cm (1″) clear at the sides. Carefully roll up then twist the ends.
Place the crackers on a greased baking tray. Repeat the process with the rest of the filling and filo pastry.
Bake the crackers in the pre heated oven for 20 – 25 minutes until golden and crisp. Serve hot or cold with crisp green salad.