- 350-450g British turkey breast, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 heaped tbsp smoked paprika
- 60g palm sugar or light brown sugar
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and pepper
- 500g steamed or microwavable rice
Heat the oil and add the onions, garlic and chilli and cook for 10 minutes to soften. Add the paprika and cook for a further 2-3 minutes (take care it doesn’t burn).
Add the sugar, lime juice, salt and pepper. Turn down the heat and reduce the total volume of the liquid and onions by roughly half. Taste the sauce and adjust if necessary – it should have a nice balance of sweet and sour.
When you’re almost ready to serve, bring the sauce to a simmer, then drop in the turkey and cook for 6-8 minutes. Serve in small bowls with the rice.
Copyright Phil Vickery