FOR THE STUFFING
- 100g/6oz bulghur wheat
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 50g/2oz raisins
- 50g/2oz pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 50g/2oz dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped dill
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1 medium egg, beaten
FOR THE TURKEY
- 4.5kg/10lb oven ready British turkey crown, thoroughly thawed if frozen
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- Fresh herbs
- Pistachio nuts and grilled baby aubergines, sharon fruits or apricots and dill sprigs to garnish
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4, 10 minutes before cooking. Lightly rinse the turkey crown and pat dry. Place the bulghur wheat in a bowl, cover with plenty of cold water and leave for 30 minutes.
Drain the bulghar wheat, squeezing out as much of the excess water as possible then stir in the remaining stuffing ingredients.
Use to stuff the neck cavity securing the flap over the stuffing with either a skewer or with a trussing needle and fine twine. Any extra stuffing can be placed in an ovenproof dish, covered with tinfoil and cooked in the oven for the last 15 minutes or cooking time.
Weigh the turkey crown and calculate the cooking time (Allowing 20 minutes per kg plus 90 minutes). Place upside down in the roasting tin and place the onion and herbs in the open body cavity and cover with foil. Cook in the oven for the calculated cooking time. Turn the right way up 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time and discard the foil. (Try and avoid opening the oven door too often while cooking).
Test if cooked by piercing the thickest part with a long clean skewer or knitting needle. If the juices run clear, it is ready, if a little pink then return to the oven and cook a little longer.
Once cooked, remove the turkey crown from the oven, place on the serving platter, cover with tinfoil and a clean towel and leave for at least 15 minutes. This will make the turkey easier to carve. Garnish and serve with freshly cooked vegetables of your choice.