- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed and chopped
- 100g/4oz carrots, trimmed, peeled and diced finely
- 6 rashers back bacon, chopped
- 175g/6oz long grain rice
- 450g/1lb diced turkey breast
- 1 tsp chilli powder to taste
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 450ml/ A pint turkey or chicken stock, warmed
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped pistachio nuts
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the onion, garlic, celery, carrots and bacon for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the rice, diced turkey and spices and continue to saute for a further 5 minutes.
Blend tomato puree with the 2 tbsp of the stock and add to the pan with 150ml of the stock. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 15 minutes, adding extra stock as it is absorbed.
Meanwhile, cover the red pepper with boiling water, leave for 5 minutes, drain and add to the pan. Continue to cook, adding more stock as necessary for a further 10 minutes or until rice and turkey are tender.
Sprinkle with chopped coriander and pistachio nuts and serve immediately.
(If liked, add a few peeled prawns, thawed if frozen for the last 5 minutes of cooking time).