- 2 tbsp oil (any will do)
- 500g British turkey thigh, diced
- 150g chorizo, cut into _ cm slices
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 red onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 red peppers, roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 x 400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 x 400g can tomatoes
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Approx 275ml strong chicken stock (or use turkey stock if you have it)
- 2 tbsp cornflour blended with a little water (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
Heat the oil in a large pan or casserole and add the turkey to brown slightly.
Add the chorizo and tomato puree and stir well.
Add all the vegetables, bay leaves, kidney beans and sugar.
Tip in the canned tomatoes, vinegar, a little salt and pepper and the stock.
Cover and cook in the oven for 30-40 mins.
Once cooked, remove from the oven and remove the lid, bring to a gentle simmer and then thicken with a little of the cornflour and water if required.
Serve with mash, rice, pasta or couscous.
Tip: If you prefer you can use turkey breast instead of thigh in this recipe.
This dish can also be cooked on the hob on a gentle simmer for the same length of time.
© Phil Vickery