- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion or 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, cut into fine slices
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 400g British turkey breast steaks, cut into 1cm strips
- 410g can chopped tomatoes with herbs
- 200g Basmati rice
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 500ml boiling water
- freshly milled black pepper
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 100g frozen peas
- 55g sultanas or raisins
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 200g thick natural yoghurt
Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan oven 170°C/ gas 5.
Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole, add the onion or shallots, leek, oregano and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the turkey strips, chopped tomatoes, rice and crumbled stock cube and mix well.
Pour in enough boiling water to just cover all the ingredients and season with black pepper.
Stir in the broccoli, peas and sultanas or raisins.
Bring to the boil, stirring well, then cover and place in the oven.
Cook for 20 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
Remove from the oven, fluff up with a fork, then stir in the coriander, check the seasoning and serve with a spoonful of natural yoghurt.
© Phil Vickery