- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic crushed
- 900g British turkey mince
- 2tbsp ground cumin
- 1tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1tsp dried
- 1tbsp chilli powder
- 2 jalapeño chillies, finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 150ml water
- 415g can baked beans
- 420g kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper
Sweat the onions in the oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add the green and red peppers and garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the turkey mince and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the turkey is no longer pink, stirring regularly and breaking up any clumps of meat with a wooden spoon.
Stir in the cumin, oregano, chilli powder, jalapeño chillies, tomatoes and water and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the baked beans and kidney beans and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the sauce has reduced and the mixture is quite thick. (If necessary, thin chilli with additional water to desired consistency.)
Season with salt and pepper.
If possible make the day before serving, as the chilli always tastes better the next day.