- 1kg of British turkey leg, boned and skinned, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 50ml of vegetable oil
- 5 cloves
- Cinnamon stick, 1 inch piece, broken in half
- 2 black cardamom pods
- ½ tsp of black peppercorns
- ¼ tsp of fenugreek seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp of ginger paste
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 ½ tsp of red chilli powder
- 1tsp of chilli flakes, red
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 120g of plain yoghurt
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 500ml of water
- 5 tbsp of fenugreek leaves, fresh, blanched for 1 minute, drained and chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ tsp of fenugreek leaves, dried, crumbled between your fingers
- ¼ tsp of garam masala
Start by placing a large, heavy-based pan over a medium heat and add the vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, peppercorns, fenugreek seeds and bay leaf.
Allow to sizzle. As the spices start to change colour, add in the onions and garlic, sauté until they are golden brown and nicely cooked.
Add in the ginger paste, salt, chilli powder, chilli flakes, cumin and coriander. Increase the heat to high. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, making sure to stir continuously. Add in the turkey pieces, stirring for 2 minutes, until they are well coated in the spices.
Add the tomatoes, cook for about 10 minutes, continue to stir constantly, making sure the spices do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
When you can see the oil starting to separate out from the masala at the edges of the pan, add the yoghurt and green chillies. Turn down the heat and bring the contents to the boil. Stir regularly.
Add 500ml of water and bring the pan back to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, keeping it there for about 10 minutes until the turkey is completely cooked through. Add the blanched fenugreek leaves and stir, following with the garam masala, dried fenugreek leaves and the lemon juice.
Serve with rice or naan bread and enjoy.
Recipe courtesy of Great British Chefs. Visit their site for more turkey recipes.