- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 75g/3oz button mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp plain white flour
- 150ml/Apt turkey or chicken stock
- 300g/10oz cooked diced turkey meat
- 100g/4oz cooked long grain and wild rice
- 1-2 tbsp single cream or fromage frais
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped tarragon
- 300g/10oz puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- A little beaten egg to glaze
1. Preheat oven 220ºC/425ºF/Gas Mark 7, 15 minutes before baking. Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion, mushrooms and red pepper for 3 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 2 minutes then draw pan off from the heat.
2. Gradually stir in the stock, return to the heat and cook, stirring until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the diced turkey, cooked rice, cream or fromage frais, seasoning to taste and the tarragon. Cover and leave until cool.
3. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to a 30 x 15cm / 12×6 inch oblong. Place the cooled filling on the rolled out pastry oblong and brush edges lightly with a little beaten egg. Fold the pastry over encasing the filling, then seal the edges firmly knocking them together with the back of a knife.
4. Place on a lightly dampened baking sheet and allow to relax in the fridge for 30 minutes. Make 3-4 slashes across the top of the pastry and brush with the beaten egg.
5. Cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Brush again with a little more egg and continue to cook for 10-15 minutes or until well risen and golden brown