- 1 litre strong homemade chicken or turkey stock. (or use 3-4 chicken stock cubes)
- 8 salad onions, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 small fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 British turkey breast steaks (about 350g)
- 200g rice vermicelli
- 200g beansprouts
- 1 small bunch coriander
- 1 small bunch Thai fresh basil or normal basil
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- juice 2 large limes
- soy sauce, to season
Place the stock (or water and cubes) into a large saucepan and heat until just simmering.
Next add the onions, chilli, garlic, fish sauce and sugar and a little salt and pepper.
Simmer for 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut the turkey into very thin strips and add to the stock.
The turkey will cook almost straight away, and stir well.
Add the noodles and beansprouts and bring back to the simmer and turn off.
Roughly chop the herbs and add to the Pho along with the juice from the lime and serve straight away.
You can serve a little soy sauce with the Pho if you want along with extra lime, herbs and even more chilli.
Copyright Phil Vickery – January 2013